Saturday, October 10, 2009

re:Vaccinations

The only problem is that when my kitties cry so much, so do I. But the vet said that bats which get sick with rabies do not fly right. The will fly very erratically, even for bats, and often fly near groung level. Thus they pose a tempting target for cats which hunt. All of my kitties except Zana Grey, who is just too old now, are excellent hunters. And they like to eat what they catch. I have always thought they needed rabies shots to protect from raccoons. But I could see how my kitties would catch a bat if they thought they could.
The two kitties now only need to get the rabies shots every 3 years. Still will need to get distemper shots every year. Specially since I know we've got it here.
Georgie and Zana will get shots in December. Rudy will get them in March. Trying to be the responsible kitty parent.
Thomas did impress the vets there yesterday with his large size. The tech called him a cougar. She said he weighs 16 lb 12 oz. I thought he was only 16 1/2 lbs. They also said he was not very fat. Just large. She said he gets even heavier the longer you carry him around. Too funny.

2 comments:

Stitched With Grace said...

I know it's hard to hear the kitty cats cry, but the alternative is so much worse.

I am glad you decided to go ahead with the vaccines. We get them for our kitties too, and they rarely go outside. Don't want to take any chances. (Charlie dog gets shot too.)

Seeta said...

Hey B!

The garden pics are fantastic - beautiful flowers, as always. But I very much enjoy seeing the pictures.

Sorry your babies were scared and cried, but, as Becky said, the alternative is so very much worse.

Love you,
T